Colored Gemstones 4th Edition: The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide–How to Select, Buy, Care for & Enjoy Sapphires, Emeralds, Rubies and Other Colored Gems with Confidence and Knowledge
All the information readers need to buy beautiful colored gemstones with confidence, now updated and expanded!
With more varieties than ever before to choose from, including altogether new gems, revolutionary new cuts and new ways to buy gems―such as Internet auctions and TV shopping―there has never been a more exciting time to buy or collect colored gemstones. But there are also new high-tech treatments and sophisticated frauds to look out for. Lack of information, error or misrepresentation can make the thrill of buying a gem or piece of jewelry confusing, intimidating, overwhelming and costly. Buyers need a source of expert guidance. This practical, comprehensive, easy-to-understand guide provides all the information you need in order to know what to look for, and what to look out for!
- The mystery and magic of colored gemstones
- How to evaluate color―and its impact on price •
- Clarity: How inclusions increase or decrease value
- Deciding between a natural gem and an enhanced gem
- Colored gemstone synthesis and treatment
- Fraud and misrepresentation
- Buying colored gems
- Colorful gemstone choices
- What to ask when buying the stone
- How to select a reputable jeweler
- Choosing the appraiser and insurer
- Price guides